Monday, November 29, 2010

presentation (phenomenal woman)

PHENOMENAL WOMAN
Pretty women wonder where my secret lies. 
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
 But when I start to tell them,
 They think I'm telling lies. 
I say,
  It's in the reach of my arms 
The span of my hips,
 The stride of my step, 
The curl of my lips.
 I'm a woman
 Phenomenally.
 Phenomenal woman,
 That's me.
I walk into a room 
Just as cool as you please,
 And to a man,
 The fellows stand or 
Fall down on their knees.
 Then they swarm around me, A hive of honey bees.
 I say,
 It's the fire in my eyes, 
And the flash of my teeth,
 The swing in my waist,
 And the joy in my feet.
 I'm a woman
 Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman,
 That's me.
Men themselves have wondered
 What they see in me.
 They try so much
 But they can't touch 
My inner mystery.
 When I try to show them 
They say they still can't see.
 I say,
 It's the arch of my back,
 The sun of my smile,
 The ride of my breasts, 
The grace of my style. 
I'm a woman
 Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman,
 That's me.
Now you understand
 Just why my head's not bowed.
 I don't shout or jump about
 Or have to talk real loud. 
When you see me passing 
It ought to make you proud.
 I say, 
It's in the click of my heels, 
The bend of my hair,
 the palm of my hand,
 The need of my care.
 'Cause I'm a woman
 Phenomenally.
 Phenomenal woman,
 That's me.
-
Maya Angelou


* I chose this poem because I truly believe that I am a phenomenal woman. I believe this poem describes me very well because I am a confident young lady. I believe that if I don’t encourage myself then no one else. In order for me to make it somewhere in life I have to be confident and know that I am the best and wont settle for second best.


-La'Shawn Moore

1 comment:

  1. This is a great poem about "phenomenal women". Maya Angelou is a phenomenal writer with an phenomenal gift.

    ReplyDelete